Thursday, August 02, 2007

Jose Guillen also doesn't get it

Geoff Baker writes here the following, regarding his report that the M's will finally bring Adam Jones up Friday, and how that news "pissed off" RF Jose Guillen:

"I guess they have something to do but this is a totally different league,'' he continued. "I understand he's a good prospect and if they think that he's ready, then hey we'll see.

"He's going to have to come here and prove that to us. Because this team has been good with what we have and I don't think that's what we need...he's a No. 1 prospect and he's going to be here sooner or later somehow, some way, but I just completely don't understand that move right there.

I don't know what they're trying to do. I hope they don't do something stupid to mess with the lineup that we have. Because I believe we have a pretty good one.''


Remember when Junior publicly complained about something that was entirely within Woody Woodward's job as GM to decide? It was after the 1994 season, Buhner's contract was up, and Griffey made it clear that the team HAD to re-sign Bone. Or else. It wasn't quite so clear at the time that locking Buhner up for three more years at what was then a premium ($15.5M/3 years) was such a good idea, but Griffey had such pull that the deal got done. Ken Griffey, Jr., Assistant GM. It all worked out OK, as I recall....

Well, the quote above from Jose Guillen shows us the folly of putting personnel decisions in the hands of athletes. The Kid could get away with it because he was a superstar. Guillen? My initial reaction is "moron." I suppose he gets kudos for, as Geoff Baker points out, making public his true reaction to the move, rather than spouting the company line. But beyond that, what does Jose Guillen know about building a winning ballclub? We're 3 games back of the Angels, one of our best hitters is in AAA, and he doesn't want to make the move because AAA is a different league than MLB?

You know what? That IS the company line!!! I mean, I'd say 'thank goodness Jose Guillen isn't calling the shots around here,' except that the guy who does, Bill Bavasi, has expressed precisely the same sentiment, in public, this week. This entire Mariner organization is maddening.

You know what's going to happen already. Adam Jones will come up (although I'll believe it when I see it, at this point), and no matter how they use him, and no matter how he plays, and no matter how much that helps the offense, he'll get blamed when our crap starting rotation just isn't enough to get us into the playoffs.

I'm in baseball hell.

1 Comments:

At 12:27 PM, Blogger Tad said...

Jose has been a reasonably good citizen so far, at least publicly. I have noticed a definite increase lately in bat slamming and helmet tossing from our volatile right fielder. If he is simmering, an AJ callup might send him over the edge. This could be interesting...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home