Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Towel, part deux

2-5.

If you go 2-5 at some point in May it is no big deal. 2-5 to open the season just feels worse somehow. I also contend strongly that late inning losses are bad for a team's morale. Although I tend to discount chemistry type arguments, I do think that a series of bullpen blows can lead to the rest of the team trying to "do to much" to win games on every swing, every pitch.

Still, there is every likelihood that the 2008 Seattle Mariners have plenty of near .500 baseball left in them this season. If simply left to their own devices they should eventually start playing their way back to the mean.

The real danger is if this poor start becomes a really poor start. How does management react to that? Does a couple of bad games get O'Flaherty sent to Tacoma? Does the team trade Clement for a veteran reliever? If they go 9-20 in April does the McLaren death watch start up? What about Bavasi? Does he get to hang around and blow a couple more farm chips in a quixotic quest for contention?

We could sweep the Rays this week and everything could die back down. But if we get swept, keep your eye on things. They could get interesting in a hurry.

2 Comments:

At 12:56 PM, Blogger Batty said...

I find it interesting that all of you post but none of you respond to one another. Anyway, I remain hopeful, but I'm just a silly, chemo-brain addled woman who likes baseball but doesn't enjoy the intricacies you gents do. Case in point, yesterday I wondered out-loud if Vidro was ambidextrous in other aspects of his life or just with a bat in hand. Then I realized that no one but me cares. Thanks for keeping me in the ‘know’ or at least in your not-so-humble opinions. --Kim Trammell

 
At 9:14 AM, Blogger Tad said...

There are many ways to enjoy baseball. Statistics and intracacies have deepened my enjoyment of the game, although part of me yearns for the days when I could simply love our sad sack team without understanding just how poorly built they were.

As for switch hitters, I too find htem fascinating. Milton Bradley of the Rangers learned to switch hit as a young man because he had broken two windows hitting right handed in his street. He knew he couldn't break any more windows but he wanted to keep playing, so he started batting lefty.

Barry Zito of the Giants, bats left and throws left. In every other way he is right handed. His handwriting with his left hand is completely illegible yet he can throw a baseball 90 mph with the same hand. Well not this year...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home